This week you will be focusing on building a fire. NOTE: The current burn ban has been lifted BUT you must only have fires from 8pm until 8am. Any other times require a burn permit from the Department of Natural Resources. Tasks #1-3 can be done at any time but tasks #4/5 need to be done after 8pm. The end goal is create a PowerPoint (or Google Slides) Presentation OR a summary video of the tasks below.
TASK #1: Read the following article on ‘How to Build a Roaring Campfire’.
TASK #2: Gather your 3 essential materials [Tinder, Kindling, Fuel Wood] and take pictures of each.
1) Tinder: Old Man's Beard, Birch Bark, Twigs
2) Kindling: Small Branches, Wood Shavings, Cedar Strips
3) Fuel Wood: Dead Wood...DRY not Green!
TASK #3: Prepare the lay of your fire [Teepee, Lean-to, Log Cabin] and take picture before ignition.
TASK #4: Ignite your fire…be sure to start video and record until fuel wood ignites.
*** Challenge – use fire steel [I have these at school if you want to borrow] as opposed to a match/lighter
Check it out… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6diTROxK7I
TASK #5: PUT OUT YOUR FIRE… take picture to show that it is out!
Check out Mr. MacKinnon (Uncle Paulie) as he demonstrates how to use a bow drill to create fire!
- Bow Drill Setup… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmmkBGywTwQ
- Components… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8KD3axkvVs
- Prepare a hearth board… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILMXWSyuKHE
- Ember… https://youtu.be/G6igQgct9Vk
- Tips… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFRF1jLhYGE
Submission: Email the PowerPoint/Google Slides/Summary Video to Ashley.Hallihan@nbed.nb.ca.