We began our unit "The Glory that Was Greece" today and students recieved a list of the curricular outcomes, a map of the Aegean and surrounding lands, a reading entitled "Geography Shapes Greek Life," and the notes for Chapter 6. These handouts should be clipped into students' notebooks in that order.
1. Read “Geography Shapes Greek Life”
2. Read pp.126-130 in textbook
3. Fill in map as directed on the back of handout.
4. Answer questions 2-5 that appear with map instructions on back of handout
Also, students have been forewarned that there may be a pop quiz at any time this week asking them to fill in a blank map relating to Greece.
On the right hand of this website, within the calendar, students can find information pertaining to their upcoming test on Monday, April 15th and on their major unit project due April 22nd. Please click on the appropriate date to access the information for each.
1. On their "Ancient Mesopotamia" maps, students are to identify the boundaries of the 4 Mesopotamian empires at their height. This information can be found on p. 46 of their textbook. Include a legend of some sort.
2. Students are to read pp.65-73 (the remainder of the chapter) including the purple section concerning Gilgamesh on p.68. This is in preparation for questions which will be assigned in class tomorrow and discussion which will take place about Mesopotamian Art and Science...best be prepared!
Make sure the following questions are completed for tomorrow's class; I will be checking.
1. p.144 questions 1, 2, & 4
2. p.148 questions 1, 2, & 3
Be prepared tomorrow to watch a documentary and take notes on Alexander the Great in preparation for an essay based on question #3 p.151
**Sign and return test that was handed back Fri., Dec.7th.**
Today's class had a lecture on the Mycenean period ~1600BCE - 1100BC of ancient Greek history and of the Dark Ages of ancient Greek history ~1100BCE - 800BCE.
1. Read pp.134-138 on The Myceneans (including p. 136 The Trojan War: Fact or Fiction?)
2. Answer questions 1,2,&3 on p. 138.
3. Read pp. 138-139 on The Dark Ages.
Today, students completed a fresh map from the homework that they were to have completed last evening. They handed it in to be marked and had the remainder of class to work on the following (which has been assigned for homework):
1. Hand in your map to Mr. Johnston
2. Make sure that your questions on the back of the “Geography Shapes Greek Life” sheet are completed.
3. Complete questions #1 & 2 on p.130
4. Read the section titled “Minoans” p.130-134 AND read “The Legend of the Minotaur” on p.135.
To be completed for Wednesday, October 24th is the following:
1. a)Have read pp.92-98 on Religion
b)Answer Reflect & Analyze questions 1-4 on p.98
2. a)Have read pp.98-102 on Magnificent Stone Pyramids & The Discovery of the Tomb of Tutankhamen
b)Answer Reflect & Analyze questions 1-4 on p.102
NOTE: #3 on p.102 is to be handed in. Expectation is that it will be a page in length and explore the topic of tomb robbing vs. archeology.