Students were informed in all three classes (7W, 80 & 8S) that they will require a composition writing journal of no less than 150 pages. This journal will stay here at the school and students will use it for a Writing Journal both as a creative outlet as well as for a place to respond to poems, articles, readings, debates, etc.
Students will need to have this by Friday, March 14th. They can be found at most dollar stores and range from $1 to $2.
While most look like the picture below, a number of different styles have been discussed that will be acceptable for our purposes.
This week in class we have discussed both of the Bingo Cards for Booklovers produced by Random House. I will inlcude the link to Random House's website here and the bingo cards below.
We also discussed a great website for avid readers to keep track of the books they have read and to generate recommendation lists based on what they have read and liked. It is a free website for which individuals can sign up. It also has iPhone and Android Apps for people/students on the go.
Grade 8 Questions for
STORM: The Black Sphere
‘abolition of a debt’ =
tartan kilts =
Arran jumper =
1. What was Will’s task and how was he going to accomplish it?
2. Think about Will’s task and predict what Elke and the other two will be doing.
Grade 7 Questions for
1. Does Luke get any useful information from Owen about young Emily’s disappearance?
2. We’ve found out that opera singer Emily likes to read myths, and she might have read Ice Cold. Is she going to become a suspect, and does she or any other possible suspect have links with young Emily?
You are to complete a full page of brainstorming for the Personal Narrative that was introduced in class today.
Assignment is as below:
TELL ME A STORY
Choose 1 (and only 1) of the following prompts for which you are to write a narrative. Be sure to pay attention to the guidelines discussed in class (also available as a downloadable file on Mr. Johnston’s webpage) about the structure of a Personal Narrative.
1. Think of a place that's so special to you that you just love thinking about it.
· It might be as big as a city, or as small as one corner of a room. Tell one story that comes to mind when you think of this place; AND
· Describe this place so clearly that your reader will know just what it's like to be there.
2. Think of an event you will want to remember when you are older. Tell about what happened in a way that's so clear that if you read this story again when you are 80, every detail will come flooding back as if it happened yesterday.
3. Think of a person you have known who has been important to you. Describe why he or she made such an impression on you or made a difference in your life.
There will be a short quiz on Thursday, December 19th for GRADE 8 students. The quiz will be on:
- Points of View (1st, 2nd, 3rd person)
- Sentences & Sentence Fragments
- Subjects and Predicates (both full and simple)
Notes for these can be found in the document gallery in case a student was absent on the days they were given or if they forgot their work at home.
Write down and answer the two questions below in your notebook.
a. What is happening that involves spying? Is spying in this way, or any other justified?
b. Think about Will, Andrew, and Gaia's dilemma. What do you think will happen now?
Letter of Complaint
Write a letter of complaint to the manufacturer of Sudzo soap, based on this scenario:
The manufacturers of Sudzo soap claim in their ads that teenagers everywhere are using Sudzo. Some teenagers interviewed as part of the ad said that they are now so popular since they started using Sudzo that they do not have time to do schoolwork. The ad asks its audience if they too want to be handsome (or beautiful) and gain lots of new friends. However, since you started to use Sudzo soap, you have had some problems and are losing all your friends (you have grown profuse amounts of hair on your knuckles and knees, your fingernails have turned light green, and people avoid you because you have a strange new odour.)
Remember to do the following:
· Make a plan for your writing! What are the ideas you want to get across.
· Aim for 4-5 paragraphs (1 for intro, 2-3 for body, 1 for conclusion)
· Be creative but don’t go WAY over the top.
· Want to see rough draft for Friday’s class
Lang.Arts 7W: Students are to complete questions 2 & 3 on p.25 of text. Also, students copied the following question down off the board, "Write a comparison of the written excerpt of My Left Foot to the movie excerpts shown in class. Compare the two forms (how were they the same, how were they different) and explain ways in which the different forms affected you. You may use p.65 of your textbook which discusses the techniques used in video."
The link for the video shown in class is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTysQF15PHE
Lang.Arts 8S (not for 8O): Students were to have completed questions 1-3. on p.36 for the article "A Not-So-Mysterious Market" by Doug Stewart
Grade 7W = students in class today finished presenting their oral recitations of the poem "Local Hero" by Bernice and Gordon Korman. They will recieve their marks in tomorrow's class. We began peer-editing our memoirs written and inspired from the textbook story "The Man." In tomorrow's class we will continue that revision and start good copies.
Grade 8 = students were spending class completing assigned questions on K2: Dreams & Reality #'s 1-6 on p.21. Those who were not finished by end of flex took the textbook home to complete the questions. Expected for tomorrow, the correcting of those questions and that #6 is in draft format (ie: students have their thought bubbles written out with a clear expectation fo what they plan to present as a scene and background for their posters).
Grade 7W Drama = today's class saw us begin the reader's theatre of "Lightning Larry." All students have been assigned a part and should begin familiarizing themsevles with the few lines they have (the most any student would have is about 12 lines.)
Lang. Arts Gr. 7 = complete questions 1, 2, & 3 on p.13 of your textbook.
Lang Arts Gr.8 = good copies of friendly letter to Katie Gill are due tomorrow at beginning of class. Be sure that formatting is done properly (as discussed in class) and if you forget or unsure how, refer to this website for assistance http://www.letterwritingguide.com/friendlyletterformat.htm