Posted: April 26, 2016
Chapter 5: Responses to Geographic InfluencesTest Review
· What is Australia’s general location in the world? Southern hemisphere, eastern hemisphere. South of the equator but not so much that it would experience cold climates like in Canada.
· Know, and be able to name, all 5 landform regions of Australia. Be able to draw similarities between these regions and Canada’s regions. ie: Eastern Uplands are ancient fold mountains like the Appalachian region in Canada. OR Western Craton is ancient shield rock similar to the Canadian (Precambrian) Shield.
· What is the population of Australia? How does it compare to Canada? What is pop.density of Australia? (2.6people/km2) and how does this compare to Canada?
· What is the population distribution of Australia?
· Be prepared to name the 3 climate zones of Australia and tell me where they are located within the country. How do these zones compare to Canada? Are there ones they have that we do not? Are there ones we have that they do not?
· When did Europeans first arrive in Australia? What kind of people first arrived in Australia? Who was there before they arrived?
· Be able to describe life for Australia’s aborigines pre-contact with Europeans.
· Be prepared to compare/contrast Australian Aborigines experience w/ Europeans to North American natives experience with Europeans· What was the White Australia Policy? How does this compare to Canadian immigration practices of the past?
· What are artesian wells and aquifers and why are they important to the economy of Australia?